Development

These are quotations brought out of all my research that will determine how I will develop my campaign flyer:

• Physical
  • Mass produced/ sendable
  • Creates interaction between neighbours
  • Appeals to all ethnicities/ religions/ ages/ cultures
  • Provokes questions/ thoughts of the target audience (‘I would never ask my neighbour to do that’, that would be handy if my neighbour could do that for me, life would be a lot easier if my neighbour could do that for me, I would feel a lot safer if my neighbour was doing that for me.’)
  • Promotes/ persuades sharing
  • No face to face interaction initaily
  • Sent between the neighbours houses
  • A set of instructions to the audience to borrow and share household items
  • Household items on both lists are exactly the same
  • Household items start out as being minor to extreme as sharing a spare key
  • When neighbours finish checklists of all items, both neighbours humbly invite each other to shake hands
  • Have as little text and imagery as possible
  • Text to be short and also resemble sharing or meeting through manipulation and play on words
  • Make the flyer as humorous as possible, to make the subject matter more accessible.
  • A4 print that will either made into a booklet consisting of 4 pages
  • Simple illustrations for household items, indicating what needs borrwoing

Before I will carry onto development I will do some quick research into good and bad neighbourly stereotypes. This will help me gain some some ideas of how to create humorous design though play on words, text manipulation, set of instruction and imagery.

Bad Neighbours

The garden:

• barking into mobiles
  • barbecues
  • unkempt gardens
  • hedges
  • dogs

Noise:

• young children
  • loud music
  • barking dogs
  • house parties
  • smoke alarms
  • tv
  • instruments
  • wind chimes

Smell:

• body odour
  • kitchen foods
  • smoking
  • Aftershaves/ Perfumes

Parking:

• resulting in shouting matches
  • parking on wrong side of the drive
  • blocking the drive
  • parking outside the house
  • feuds
  • violence

Grassing:

• Planning laws
  • Police visits
  • Unkempt houses

Common Parts

• length of fence
  • corridor space
  • television aerial
  • shared drives
  • shared gardens

blowing leaves   brush fight   granny and guitar   large grass verge

mooning hedge   shouting match

spraying wheel chair guy

Good neighbours

• Advanced warning of noise i.e. parties, children playing instruments etc
  • Look out for them when their away
  • Reduce noise as much as possible (keep appliances away from walls/ rubber matts under TV to muffle noise)
  • control over pets (clean up after them/ keep them on a leash/ keep them happy)
  • parking étiquette
  • keep the garden tidy
  • control your barbecue or bonfire
  • put rubbish out only on the right day of collection
  • build trust
  • exchange house keys
  • share/ borrow tool
  • exchange cooking recipes
  • invite round for tea
  • keep the garage door closed
  • be a courteous driver
  • don’t leave toys in the front garden
  • bring an unexpected gift
  • organise play dates
  • provide nice gestures and small services
  • offer a beverage if hard at work

a   b

c   d

e   f

g

Above has given me a good sense of what makes a good and bad neighbour. Now that I have exposed myself to such neighbourly traits and imagery, this should show through the tool I make. I will first start to develop the front of the A4 cover.

The front cover should be as simple as possible and I think a good way to do this is to have a simple word or phrase on the front cover. This will contrast from the business of generic post, and also present it self as an anonymous greeting, question or instruction? I will construct a list of words and phrases that I could potentially use on the final front cover.

load of words 

When writing down words and phrases, I had to consider that the greeting appeals to all cultures. As well as this, the word or phrase had to be short as possible. Im came to the decision that I only wanted to use one word. This left me with the words:

• Hi
  • Hello
  • Greetings
  • Share

Looking at these words I decided that I would use the words ‘hi’ as it is short and snappy, and when tested it looks the strongest on the A5 page. The emptiness of the space hightlights the word more compared to there others due to it only being two letters long.

Screen Shot 2014-05-11 at 17.40.07I

My next task was to experiment with the lettering to manipulate the word ‘HI’ into something that relates to the subject matter. Here are a just few drawings experiments I came up. Ive decided to use a simplistic font, which reflect how I want my Campaign to be. With this font I experimented with imagery, size and reflection.

dawrings

Experimented I distinguished a drawing that i could go onto further develop, circled in the above example of drawings. The the words ‘Hi’ is reflected horizontally, Letter ‘I’ been shrunk and changed to lowercase, and a full stop has been added. These reason I chose this idea to further develop is due to the face that it reflects the scenario of bumping into a neighbour. The letter ‘H’ resemble the houses, the lower case ‘i’ represents the neighbours and the full stop represents the fence/ bush that separates them. The design has the potential to look minimal on the page, which is a characteristic my design research suggests I imply. Here is a Photoshop render of my design. which I then went on to further explore.

Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 12.52.52

The simplicity of the of the type, and the way it has been manipulated looks subtle, which makes this design stand out from the previous flyers analysed in my research.I have used a capital ‘I’, and erased the space so that the heads line up with the joining line of the ‘H’. I will continue to further experiment with size and texture, till I am completely happy the design fits its purpose, and conveys its message as best as possible.

Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 13.01.54  Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 13.29.34  Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 13.28.33

Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 13.37.22  Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 13.40.58  Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 13.44.17

Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 14.09.12  Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 14.10.44  Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 14.21.12

Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 14.51.37  Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 15.22.05  Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 16.08.31

keeping in mind my research requires me to create a design that is simple, with as little information as possible to entice you explore the flyer further. The idea of the flyer its to act almost like an invitation for you to open yourself up into what the flyer instructs you to do. I first experimented with size, repetition and reflection of letters. Doing these explorations lead me to changing the way the letters portray themselves in some instances as it changed from a house view to a street view. The designs that I think have come out the strongest are the designs with the plain white backgrounds, with a slight drop shadow much makes the design less flat.

Compared to the original design I have now given the letters ‘i’s human characteristics buy adding a speech bubble, which also says ‘hi…’. The irony is that the invitation is saying hi to you and inviting you to proceed with the flyer, where as we also have another interaction between the actual letter. One letter ‘i’ is giving the other ‘i’ a chance to communicate, indicating what the flyer is all about. This design piece I think is clever in the way that it constructs humour from the audience. This was an important application to the design, as it allows the audience to open up and proceed with the flyers instructions.

Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 15.22.05

Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 16.08.31

My initial ideas was to only to only create one flyer/ postcard, but from viewing these two designs I think they would work together as a set. This led me onto more experimentation which lead me onto a 3rd design.

Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 23.16.46

This is another design which I’ve experimented with using colour. I then began to figure that some colour and materials, resemble that of fridge letter magnets. I thought this was quite humorous, as fridge letter magnets is something you personally position on your fridge to convey a message for the household. This postal card suggests to the house owner, that it has intruded into their house to convey its message. This quality makes the card more forceful, yet simply has intruded to simply say hi. Again this is another humorous quality.

Now I completed the front cover I then moved onto working not he back of the design. I wanted my instruction to to simple and clear, like the instructions which featured in Bill Drummond’s- Draw a Circle. This was a time consuming process, as I had to rewrite the instruction numerous times to make them as simplest, clear and humorous as possible. Below demonstrates this process:

1

2

3

After numerous tweaks, these are my final instructions that I will for my flyer. I had to consider how the flyer would work between the two neighbours and also the structure of the design. These are the final instructions.

Do you know your neighbour?

• Use this flyer
  • Grab a pen
  • Fill in your name
  • Confirm your house number
  • Study the list adjacent
  • Check one item you wish to borrow
  • Post it next door
  • Return to your home
  • Wait for neighbours response

• Find returned flyer with requested item posted
  • (Larger items may be concealed outside)
  • Enjoy your item
  • Refer back to flyer
  • Confirm neighbours request
  • Respond in the same manner
  • Repeat till six items are checked

• Refer to section ‘lunch’
  • Respond to neighbours lunch invitation
  • Get to know your neighbour

My next stage was to figure what information the receiver needs to state. I wanted as little information needing to fill out, so it makes the process a lot more persuasive and enjoyable. After careful thinking, I managed to make these small fill out sections for the user.

• Name:
  • House Number
  • Lunch Date/ Time

With as little information needed as this, the humorous strategy plan can go ahead. The name section did not need to specify first and second name, as its up to the user who they want to declare themselves by. They may chose to put down a nickname. Next, a section simply states house number. A full address isn’t needed as its the direct neighbour that will be taking part. Only a house number is required as it simply indicates which neighbour has sent the flyer/ postcard. Finally, the last section states ‘Lunch date/ time’ which stating the obvious is an invitation, to finally meet the neighbour you have been sharing items with.

After this I now had to figure out what items I wish to present as an option for the neighbours to borrow from each other. Initially, I was going to use standard items that you would possibly borrow off your neighbour like tools, condiments, etc. However, as my design became more humorous, I decided that I would refer back to my bad neighbours section of my development and record items that would counteract the bad habits. e.g peg because your neighbour might smell too bad. The peg isn’t used for hanging washing its used to put on you nose. Below is an example of my creative thinking, running through different examples of items I could use that are humorous.

shit

twat

The final choices of items to borrow came down to the most humorous and likely options. This left me with these title, which I then had to create simple icons for.

• Slippers- Neighbours who stomp loudly
  • Condom- Neighbours who have too many children
  • Toothbrush- Neighbours with bad breath
  • Peg- Neighbours with bad body odour
  • Sleep Mask- Neighbours who pull up late at night with their headlights on
  • Bottle Opener- Neighbours who have parties often
  • Aspirin- Neighbours who generally give you a headache
  • Trowel- Neighbours with an unkempt garden
  • Bin Bag- Neighbours who leave rubbish around
  • Paint Brush- Neighbours with unsightly house faces or garages
  • Wooden Spoon- Neighbours who have bad smells coming from the kitchen
  • Space- Neighbours that spoil your privacy

The humour of this is that neighbours will ask for something, and will highlight the other neighbours bad traits and vice versa. I think even though the item choices do this, I think the audience will realise its just some light digs at each. The exposure of these bad traits might get the neighbours to change the ways or not, but the main idea is just to have some light hearted fun. My next task was to design the icons for these borrowable items.

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 09.14.58

To construct these shapes I decided to only use rounded rectangles and circles to make up the overall shapes. I wanted to make them as simple as possible, but still able to understand clearly what they are. Now I had all the information for the back of the flyer/ postcard I know had to construct the design using grid structures. My process is recorded below.

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 09.35.30 Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 09.39.21

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 09.40.40 Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 09.42.07

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 09.44.22   Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 09.45.20

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 09.46.44

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 09.47.51

This is the complete back cover. Stemming from the front cover design, I decided to name the campaign ‘Hi Hi’. The name is simple, straightforward and reflects the subject of the flyer. as well as this I have set out the icons in a structure to almost act as a catalogue. Again this adds to the humour, as it almost suggests that the borrowing of items is more important than meeting your neighbour. Moreover, the layout of the design has a clear structure and can be easily read in the right order to follow the instructions.

Below are my final designs, which I have layer out ready to set to print. I have chosen to print on 270gm weight paper, as the paper needs to withstand many exchanged between hands of neighbours. Also, their is a subtle gloss to the card, which makes the front covers look more realistic in appearance, rather than a manipulated image.

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 09.59.15

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 09.59.33

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 09.59.59

Screen Shot 2014-05-14 at 10.00.15

To critically analyse the designs, I thought the the design with the white background work better. The shadow adds unnecessary colour to the design which is not needed, Having a simple white background make the simple imagery look stronger and bolder in appearance. The back cover I think is structured nicely for the audience to follow the instructions correctly.

However, looking at the icons, I think I should of explored these shapes further as i think there is a potential to make the shapes even more simpler, making the design look more aesthetically pleasing. Saying that, the icons are somewhat simple and easy to understand, which is the most important factor for the flyer.