Packaging

Below is packaging for children’s activity sets on planes by Tresa Yam. The idea behind this design is to relax children during flights. There are three suitcases and each contain different activities with the purpose of distracting them and keeping them occupied. The packaging itself is aimed at young people aged 9-12 years of age. The design itself is very simple and obviously aimed at children, its made from light card and in the shape of a suitcase, very fitting for its environment and a lot more engaging than a boring old box. For the people I intend to target (adults, business people, students) this would be unsuitable purely because of it’s size and aesthetics, although fitting for its target audience I don’t feel that adults would be comfortable walking around alone with something like this in their hands.

45f6c66c08b39c0479cc2a272a678738

Merkur Suitcase by Tom Chldil is a packaging design for a make of Czech toy called Merkur, and therefore like the design before is aimed at young children. The designer of this felt that using the idea of a suitcase was a great way to sell the tool like toy as according to him tools are carried around in suitcases? well I’ve not seen that myself but then again I’ve never been to the Czech Republic. Like the image before this design is also light and disposable, great for young children but I am leaning toward making something that lasts, that people can save and remember what it means. Again the design of this is relatively simple, something that I want to achieve but I don’t feel that these products have helped in the designing process, if anything they have helped me decided that I want to make sure that what I create is small, aimed at adults and long lasting. However, I do appreciate the minimal colour choices along with the shape, it’s structured and straight, although I kind of think that it looks a bit more like a sandwich bag that a tool bag.

d101c9a129de9d63bfb0dff1b645efe6

I have decided to take a look at some packaging that has been inspired by crates, like what you would see on the back of a freight train.

Here is a small, very simple example of packaging that has been inspired by a shipping crate. It’s been designed by Robin Lindner for a Nixon watch that is called ‘Moving Out’. It’s been made from recycled wood, which has then been personalised with the brand and not much else, nice and simple. The base is secured by a magnetic strip which allows easy opening and closing (something that I have previously not considered). The fact that this is made from something much more sturdy really appeals to me, I definitely think that I will  use a wood type or another hard material.

ee97de5dcaf32a40e3a6ebd48369ec4a

These packaging examples were designed as a new food range by Fishermans Friend, Kutter Futter. Each thing is packaged differently but not all are relevant to my project, here are the two pieces that I liked. First is a small simple box made from cardboard, it uses very little imagery or colour giving it a subtle and calm look. The shape of the box although only square is still unique, by exposing the centre of the cardboard itself it gives a relaxed look meaning that the user may not feel too precious towards it. This shape is also easy to handle, it’s familiar and trusting. I like that the packaging has an unfinished appearance as well as the fact that it isn’t bombarding you with information. However, at the moment I am leaning towards making something more permanent, something that people could use again for various thing and not just end up in the trash.

1b575f7530493758cfbb1edc6653ae0f

Below is the other packaging example from this project that I thought could be useful to look at. It is a brown paper bag, sounds a bit boring but I really like the shape of this as well as the crumpled effect, again this gives it a relaxed appearance, something that I think could be very fitting for my final outcome. Again there is little information on the outside, the design is understated and disposable. Something like this would be much more transportable than a box.

8c6d37db161cac39f3f13ec3153f3ffd